Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Read at your own Risk

When we moved, I gave all my big plants to Kennedy's best friend's mom. She loves plants too. I was really sad, so I purchased this one. Isn't it cool? I went back like 9 times to look at it. I love it. My parents also picked out a new piano and had it delivered it to us. It is very nice and I'm super excited. My dad wants to continue to teach the girls lessons via webcam. That'll be super cool. They're the best ever.
So, Saturday, Joe and I went to see the Utes in San Jose. It was way fun. I mean, I didn't have my usual company with my usual nachos and the usual fight song, but still fun. Joe's friends are really funny and they had a good time. Luckily, some are from Utah and know the ropes :)
I also found an incredible babysitter. One of the ladies when we were closing mentioned she had a 16-year-old niece and I was all over it! She was amazing. I'm really happy we had her and I want her to come back.
There is a law here that new drivers can't drive past 11:00 so I had to take her home. When I got home, it was about 12:15. I didn't lock the doors because she just lives down the street a ways. When I came back I saw a man in our driveway. I thought "What is Joe walking around for?" but then I realized it wasn't Joe. I freaked out and kept driving until I realized my doors were unlocked and he could murder my family. I stopped, grabbed my cell, and asked him if he needed help. That is when I realized he was elderly, barefoot, and couldn't speak English very well. Oy!
I called 911 and they sent two cops over (because that is what I need. My new neighbors wondering where the neighborhood has gone). But they were very polite and kind with this gentleman. I got him a blanket because it was chilly and he just kept saying the same numbers over and over again. Sorta "Lost" ish :o) He then told me in broken English that he was sleeping and he didn't know why he was here.
The cops started driving to these numbers on different streets while I sat outside with him. Finally they found a house with the numbers but the car was registered under a very not Asian name. They asked the dispatch to try another name in the household and the wife sounded Asian. Anyway, a few moments later a son came and got his dad. It was so tender.
Last night the daughter came over with a thank you/gift card. Turns out, the son and dad were visiting from Thailand and he has Parkinson's. I was grateful to be in the right place at the right time and that I had left a light on inside. I think that's why he was in our driveway opposed to others.
This girl has 2 and 1/2 year old twin girls and Sicily needs a friend. I'm happy.
We also have ordered new windows to replace the old 60s pieces of crap and new granite counter tops. The city is sending out a 2nd person to look at our overgrown trees to get them taken care of. It is giving me something to look forward to.
Kennedy learned how to ride a bike! FINALLY! She just took off. I barely had to hold on to her. I guess they just need to decide when they want to...We had cookies last night to celebrate this amazing new talent.
I applied for some part time jobs as a preschool teacher or a tutor but have yet to hear back from anyone. Surprise surprise!
Whew! What a eye full of reading. Sorry! Maybe loneliness is kicking in where I feel like I tell nobody anything so it all comes out in the blog!

10 comments:

Angie said...

Holy Cow, that poor elderly man, that is so sad. You have had a lot going on! I love love love the new plant and the piano is so nice! That is so neat tha tyour dad wants to still teach the girls via webcam, what an awesome Grandpa!

Sharon said...

Rachel you are so sweet! I am so happy you are finding a place in your new world!

We are the Dall family said...

Wow! It sounds like you have been up to a lot!! It is great that you are getting to know your neighbors, you need some good friends to take care of you since I am not there! ;0)

Alison said...

Wow what an adventure. I love stories like that. I'm glad you got to see your Utes. I was just wondering the other day if you were going to teach or take some time off or what? And I'm very jealous of your paino.

Melanie said...

You are so cute! That man was lucky to have ended up in your yard.

Darci Wilson said...

WOW!! Craziness! Good luck with the work stuff. I think you would make a super cute pre school teacher!

Kara said...

Good thing that guy wasn't a murderer! that's awesome you could be of help to him :) Oh, and your girls' rooms are so cute!

Diana said...

You are so nice to help that man. It definitely was being in the right place at the right time.
I love your new piano it is beautiful!

Bethany Robinson said...

Wowza! I love your story. Thank goodness you didn't pepper spray the guy!

Also, Jack can ride a bike now too:P We got him a strider, look it up online. It is a bike with no pedals, he rocks it.

Baby duty calls, hugs. B

We are the Dall family said...

Update!! Update!! Update!!

Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones